Sunday, January 11, 2009

An Enoch Experience

As usual, vespers was interesting and motivational at the Wildwood Health Retreat.  Akia shared some thoughts, then he gave us the long-awaited showing of a movie he had made.  It's poetic rhyming matched the scintillating pictures as he endeavored to show noble character qualities of a godly woman.

After he was finished, we shared with the group the blessings that we had received during the week.  I spoke of how I was glad that I was able to learn more about cooking this week than I probably would have in the next 10 months if I hadn't been in the kitchen with Akia.  Others shared their blessings, from the ordinary down to a lady who had just quit her job to be able to serve Christ better and live a more fulfilled life.  I was impressed.

As I walked out of the crowded parlor, I stepped outside to take a short walk.  I continued to walk however, an found myself walking through the chest high golden grass in the field.  I inhaled the almost living air, and looked up at the almost supernaturally bright moon.  I didn't even need a light with these kind of conditions.  I walked all the way to the river and tried to absorb the rippling, rushing sounds.  It reminded me of how Darlene had shared at Vespers that she had walked to a nearby bridge, shouted, "Here, Beaver, Beaver, Beaver!," and two huge beavers had swum out towards her!

I was suddenly overwhelmed at how good God had been to me.  To be in such a wonderful place...that I now call home.  I sang, "There is a Quite Place," and knelt down on the moist grass to pour out my thanks to God.  My heart burned within me and I felt as if this must maybe come close to what Enoch felt.

No comments: