Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Lesson in Carefulness in the Land of the Ladybugs

Something you might not know about Wildwood Health Retreat:  it's crawling with ladybugs.  About every week you can dust them out of your room by the dozen...but it's been worse...there have been times when they covered the ceilings.  Or, far worse, they could be cockroaches, termites, or rats like we had in Africa :)

So Akia and I were on the hunt.  Not that it was called as such, but we were definitely on the lookout for the little beasts as we cleaned the Lifestyle Center.  I spotted some in some light fixtures, and the Trouble began.  As I pried the glass fixture out of the never-patented holding pieces, "snap!", the holding pieces broke the glass!  Although a minor chip, I was amazed.  "Man, I should be more careful," I thought.

After struggling for several minutes to put a dresser drawer back into place, Akia called for my help.  "What do you want me to do?." I asked skeptically.  Before I could really do anything, the drawer kind of collapsed in his hands, as the joints just fell apart.  "Oops," Akia said, "I guess I'd better take it to Mike to have him glue it back together."  After resuming his work on the dresser, it was déjà vu all over again.  After examining the crooked frame of what was once a large drawer, I said, "Don't you just want to take the whole dresser to Mike?"  Akia, laughed and resumed another project.

Unfortunately, our cycle of mishaps seemed to destined for the Omega.  Cleaning one of the nicest rooms that we hoped would soon house a wealthy guest, I spotted some lady-beasts.  "I sure wish we could just open the window and clean those bugs out of that unreachable crack," I asked Akia.  Smooth as could be, Akia reached over the window mounted air conditioner and pulled a couple little tabs.  Presto, the vinyl window opened inward.  I was about to reach out and swipe the lady-beast-bugs into oblivion, when "whoosh, slash, bang!"  Akia, whose face makes the funniest and most exaggerated contortions at the smallest of thoughts, stared blankly at where once was the window mounted air conditioner.  The air conditioner had just fallen out of the two story window, snapped apart it's cord, and lay in a dented heap on the ground far below.  I struggled to hold in my laughter, but Akia was already laughing the kind of sorry-funny laugh when something so quickly goes wrong and you had no power to stop it until it was too late.

I think God was trying to teach us to be careful.  In self-supporting work there isn't time or money enough to be careless.  While we can laugh at our mistakes, we must take seriously how we handle life and the talents intrusted to us.  I hope that this will make you, the reader, more careful as you fight your "ladybugs" of life.

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

Eric Rose, how are you? That was a pretty humorous story that you told. How is everything there in Wildwood? Thailand is going well. We are going to be starting to teach English and health to some high-schoolers and others who want it as well. It should be exciting, since I'm not much of a teacher. :D God will have to work hard, then. God bless.